Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cabinet of Curiosity- Prompt #2



Prompt #2 for the challenge was "Curiosity"

(( Sorry. I scanned and re-posted this. It is properly rotated on my hard drive but not here and no matter what I do I cannot get it to rotate horizontally))

The challenge was to create a piece using a several step process. In this challenge the steps/ process and sequence was determined by drawing word cards with directives, such as "paint' or "pen" or "paper." I found this was a real challenge for me b/c I usually create my pieces beginning with one idea (picture, word) and flow from there spontaneously. I also ended up with a piece that is fuller and busier than what I usually find myself doing. So, I have mixed feelings about the outcome. That being said, it was a good exercise for me to stretch, and to seek ways to integrate many steps and processes into one piece. So, here is the product of what was truly "experimentation" for me.

I chose the word "Create" as my starting point and my inspiration piece (colors etc) was a picture of a bouquet of pansies. I included a picture of Luther Brubank fairly predominantly. He embodies the word create; he is responsible for the hybridization and proliferation of the Shasta daisy in the late 19th century.

The words on the 4 x 6 piece (in case you cannot read them in the digital pic) are:
"Create" "a five day conversation piece." And: "diverse, interesting, experimentation prevents decay."

9 comments:

Latharia said...

This turned out LOVELY! I have this project on my list of things to try! Awesome!!!!!!!

Carol Soules said...

Many thx for the feedback! I'm enjoying stretching myself! Hope you enjoy yourself with it, too!

Monica said...

The colors are terrific! Love the overall feeling of the page. Beautiful!

Bonnie said...

I love the outcome! So interesting! You did an awesome job!

Sharon Tomlinson said...

I like both of your COC pieces. It is always fun to stretch and learn.

I also enjoyed seeing your garden project.

Carol Soules said...

Thx! It is great to not be creating in a vacuum and to get some feedback from you all. I really appreciate it!

beth said...

Isn't this challenge fun ?? You did wonderful on this...the colors are just fabulous !!!

Kari said...

This turned out wonderfully! Love the layers with the images, colors and textures. Love it all!!!!

Nerissa Alford said...

Beautiful. I love all your images and the colors.
Nerissa